Friday, August 10, 2012

don't judge a book


I know that my work is not for everyone, particularly some of my more visceral oil paintings. But is it really offensive? Enough so that people cannot mask the disdain on their faces or refrain from unkind comments?

Over the last two years or so, I have been primarily making work that is, by my standards, quite pretty. I’ve been using watercolor, a delicate medium that first gained popularity among well-to-do Victorian ladies as a favored pastime.  Working on paper, incorporating the ground color (white or beige) as my background, I use lots of pale colors, refined details, flora, and scroll-work. Yes, there are also bones and organs as the main subject, but these are things that are a part of us. Presented in a beautiful and unobtrusive manner. 

Part of my fascination with anatomical imagery is that we have living, working examples of it inside of all of us, but it cannot be seen (under normal circumstances). It is the most ancient, deep-rooted, natural curiosity of human kind.  What makes us live? Your heart beats for you, your skull cradles your brain, your stomach and bowels absorb nutrients and expel waste. It is easy to forget this, but is it really so awful to be reminded of it?

Far more disturbing things can be seen, in both hidden and obvious places. I’m not asking anyone to like my work, just please don’t be so fast to dismiss it. I am simply visually vocalizing my amazement and appreciation for the beauty of our physical beings. With a few other emotions thrown in, but I’ll leave those interpretations up to you. 

Anatomical Heart Study, 2012

1 comment:

  1. Your work is beautiful Meagan!

    It's delicate , elegant , and very tasteful, and on top of it all very skillful . It calls us to look closer at something that is so vital for our existence, something that we carry with us every day of our lives. It highlights & appreciates the beauty and wonder in those organs.

    We see patterns, drawings, and paintings of every other external part of our bodies , so why not the internal ?

    Don't let these negative comments bring you down, most of the good things just take time :)

    ReplyDelete